07 March 2011

Outside In by Maria V. Snyder



Me?? A Leader??

Okay, I did prove that there's more to Inside than we knew. That a whole world exists beyond this cube we live in. And finding that led to a major rebellion-between worker scrubs like me and the snobby uppers who rule our world. Make that ruled. Because of me, we're free. I thought that meant I was off the hook, and could go off on my own again-while still touching base with Riley, of course. He's the one upper I think I can trust. But then we learned that there's outside and then there is Outside. And something from Outside wants In.


As I said in the review for Inside Out, this book's predecessor, I read both these books in less than a day because they were that good. My e-copy of Outside In was provided to me free by the publisher through NetGalley.

Like most dystopian series Outside In deals with the chaos of rebuilding a world after the status quo has been toppled. Trella is still a delight in this book, and I like how she deals with the consequences of her actions . . . or doesn't deal with them, which is much more true to her character. While you see growth in her, and in all the characters, it is slow, believable growth that doesn't destroy Trella's spark that made you like her. The rest of the characterizations are good as well. Trella's relationship with Doctor Lamont is beautiful on both ends, with the characters acting and reacting to eachother in ways that are as emotionally vivid as they are realistic. The relationship between Trella and Riley is similarily good, even if it does seem a little mature, reasoned, and adult for a first relationship.


**Spoiler Alert**

I think if I had to complain about anything in this book it would be the beings of Outside. The Outsiders are never fully explained, especially their differences, and I'm left thinking they are a little too overpowered and convenient for the plot. However, they don't destroy the story, they just leave behind some nagging questions. I'm not going to totally discount the book for their presence, but I'm hoping that the sequel will explain their history and alternate development a little bit more instead of springing so much on us at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment