10 November 2011

Tiger’s Quest by Colleen Houck



Back in Oregon, Kelsey tries to pick up the pieces of her life and push aside her feelings for Ren. But danger lurks around the corner, forcing her to return to India where she embarks on a second quest-this time with Ren's dark, bad-boy brother Kishan, who has also fallen prey to the Tiger's Curse. Fraught with danger, spellbinding dreams, and choices of the heart, TIGER'S QUEST brings the trio one step closer to breaking the spell that binds them.


I thought this book took a bad turn. Although I liked Tiger’s Curse this book took a totally different direction, especially at first. I almost gave up on the first third of the book. The story starts out where Tiger’s Curse left off, with Kelsey returning to Oregon and leaving Ren in India. However, her life in Oregon is far from normal. For her “service” to Ren she’s gifted with a full ride to a college she didn’t have to apply to, a house, an outlandish car, all expenses paid, credit cards in her name . . . and the list goes on. I admire that Kelsey tried to move on and date, but the choices are so obviously not for her that I have to wonder if there was any effort at all put into them. Li is so transparent as a plot point setup that I was more annoyed than anything. I really wish this whole section of the book had been put into a one-chapter prologue at best.

After Ren returns, spends time romancing Kelsey (something that annoys me because he insists he must do it for her benefit even though she doesn’t want it in a horrible case of ‘mansplainin’) and they get attacked and Kelsey escapes with Kishan while Ren is captured. While I like that Kelsey has adventures away from Ren, with Kishan the quest seemed like less of a partnership. It never seemed to be them working together, more that one of them was holding the other one back. At least it alternated so that one person wasn’t always hobbling the other. I’m still holding out hope for the series as a whole, however, and I’ll get the third book in hope that all the dramatic romantic dragging out is done with and we can get back to amazing adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment