28 March 2012

Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter

Kate Winters has won immortality.

But if she wants a life in the Underworld with Henry, she’ll have to fight for it.

Becoming immortal wasn’t supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she’s as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he’s becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate’s coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.

As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.

Henry’s first wife, Persephone.


This was a fantastic read and I suggest you go got it right away. I didn’t quite enjoy this book as much as its predecessor, but that’s only a sliver less. Perhaps that’s due to Persephone. I really, really liked her. In fact, I think she developed more as a character than Kate did, which is a bit problematic. She certainly had more interaction with Henry, which is what I really feel was lacking for the romance of the lead character. I really just wanted Ava to smack them both into sense at some points. However I did really like how Kate dealt with the shadow of a love triangle with James. It was nice to know that the book isn’t going there.

The other thing that kind of got to me was the plot. While I understand that the Titans are really the easy enemies when you’re playing with Greek Gods I really wish that authors would look past the obvious sometimes. After all there is more than enough in-fighting between the gods that you don’t really need to bring in outsiders. That was one of the things I really liked about the first book, that they concentrated on internal strife rather than unified under an outside foe. However, after I accepted that the book was taking the cliché’d route I was able to at least enjoy the ride. Carter’s take on Cronus was rather unique, and I like how he used Hera to get what he wanted and how Persephone was almost able to trick him.

Yup, again with Persephone. Her kick-butt character really stole the show in this book. You can see how she was more of a match for James than Henry, but I wish we saw a bit more of why she was with Adonis. You get the idea that it’s for his pretty face, which is so antithetical to her character that I don’t get it. I want Adonis to be someone who deserves Henry’s envy. Past that, though, the girl is clever, nice, but doesn’t pull punches and I like how she’s got an agenda of her own and isn’t afraid to accomplish it. I suggest you read this book just so you can meet her, she’s such a refreshing break from whiny-Kate. Not that she doesn’t have a reason to be whiny, but I seriously had my fill. Hopefully we can get some confident Kate back in the next book and she can take on Persephone’s butt-kicking and stand face-to-face with Cronus.


I received a copy of this book free through NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment